Tuesday 18 August 2015

Interacting with Ancient History - Blown Away!

Walking in the ancient city of Ephesus has to be the highlight of my trip! It was the port I was most looking forward to and not only did it live up to my expectations, but it has surpassed them by so much. I am truly in awe!

Ephesus was a major port city of 100, 000 people, that was nestled in a valley and which provided the major link for the transportation of goods between Asia and the Mediterranean.



The bus dropped us off at the end of the city that is higher in the valley and we began to walk down the main street. This upper portion of the city was where the upper class were with
the basilica, a small theatre used for meetings of the senate as well as performances. The street itself, is made of large marble blocks, I can't believe that I am walking on the same stones that the Ephesians walked on 2000 years ago!


As we continue down the street there are actually many intact sculptures. One of the most beautiful buildings in the city is the Celsus Library, with its two
storey facade it is magnificent. We then walk Across the hill to the stadium,which is a massive amphitheatre set in the side of Mount Pion, and the spectators would have looked out over the harbour. In addition to the amazing world history of this place, there is also the importance of this place in Christian history and I got to interact with it, not just observe it.


I stood on the stage where Paul stood when preaching to the Ephesians, and I sat in the seats where the people sat to listen to him. Then we walked along the shopping square for the regular folk before we turned back for a look at the entire stadium.




We also went to two other sites,
the first was St. John's Basilica, another beautiful ruin with a gorgeous view out over a valley that would also have included a view of the sea.



It also looks over the only. remaining piece (a column) of the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The second was Mary's House. It is thought to be the place where she came with John after Christ's death & resurrection, and where she spent her last days.



I know I said this in my last post but, the more I see and experience of Turkey, the more I want to live here for a few years. I really love this place.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen- I agree with you about Ephesus. It blew us away when we were there 2 years ago. Roger

    ReplyDelete