Tuesday 18 August 2015

Let's Talk Turkey

I'm standing on my balcony, watching as Sultanahmet appears and gets closer on our approach to Istanbul. The views are amazing of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the wall around this area of the city that was Constantinople. I feel so blessed to be returning to this place for a 2nd time (and within 6 months)! Since I did have a job offer in Istanbul, there is also a feeling of welcome to this city.


Last time I was here, I did not go inside the Blue Mosque or Hagia Sophia, nor did I visit the Grande Bazaar, as I knew that one of the Princess tours did these and they were what Linda wanted to see. They are both amazing inside! The Blue Mosque is a functioning mosque filled with amazing blue tile designs inside. Haga Sophia has been rebuilt a couple of times but by the entrance are some of the ruins of the original cathedral from the 6th century. After its time as a cathedral in Constantinople, it has been repurposed into a mosque, and then as a museum which is what it remains today.


Thank goodness it is a midweek day today for visiting theGrand Bazaar. When I was here in February, I tried to navigate the much smaller spice bazaar on a Saturday and was totally overwhelmed with how packed it was. The Grand Bazaar is much larger, and one of the oldest and largest covered markets in the world. It has 60 streets and about 5000 shops! Needless to say we saw only a portion in our short time there.


I must say, I love Istanbul a little more with each visit, and I am So excited to apply for a job here again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment