Tuesday 10 February 2015

A Monument to Consumerism and Excess - Dubai 1

I don't think I could live in Dubai. Although this emirate has much culture and history (which I will tell about in my next post), it is too much for me: too busy, too crowded, too focussed on shopping, too focussed on being the biggest, tallest, longest, first, and greatest. Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoyed seeing and experiencing these things, but I'm ready to move on.


I used the Big Bus Hop-on, Hop- off Tours as my main mode of transportation and information on the local sights. It was a convenient and reasonably priced way to get the most out of a few days. I started by touring the beach and marina areas, stopping for lunch in the marina area of highrise apartments, restaurants and shops along winding waterways.


We drove out onto Jumeirah Palm Island, a palm tree and crescent shaped island that is 5km long and 5km wide and is apparently the 2nd man made structure that is visible from the moon. Surrounding the palm tree, the crescent shaped landmass acts as a breakwater and has the famous Atlantis resort. The crescent portion of the island is accessed by an underwater tunnel from the top of the trunk. Of course, there are at least 2 malls and they are building another massive one at the base of the trunk.


That evening, I went up the Burj Kahlifa just befor sunset. I splurged on the premium ticket (only 25% more) to get to be part of a smaller group that goes 1st to the 148th floor for 30 min and then down to the 125th where there is no time limit. On the 148th floor there was 360° observation decks, 1 portion outside, and a centre lounge area where we were served dainty sweets and coffee / tea / juice, Avoiding the lines and not having to struggle for viewing space was well worth the extra cost. I was overwhelmed just dealing with the crowds in the mall it is a part of, trying to get from the main entrance to the Burj. I couldn't believe the difference between how the 'tall' buildings looked from the 125th and the 148th floors.


The next day, after doing the city tour, I took the night tour which revisited some of these places after sunset and ended with a laser light show.



No comments:

Post a Comment