Saturday 14 February 2015

A Work in Progress - Doha.

Wow, Doha is changing very rapidly. Ten or so years ago it was a city of 700, 000, now it has almost 2 million people, and 80% are expats from other countries! It is growing in a very modern way, like Dubai, but without the extremes of biggest, tallest, fastest, farthest, etc. Qatar has the most progressive altitude of all the Arabian countries when it comes to women's rights and equality, championed by the current sultan's mother (the former sultan's wife). Women have a number of positions in government and make the Same salary as their male colleagues. I like Doha, it isn't as beautiful as Muscat, and there is a lot of fine sand dust in the air, but it has more amenities without going overboard like Dubai.

I did okay with my hotel choice. It was older but perfectly adequate and very inexpensive for Doha. It's best feature is the location: right in with all the suqs and only a 3 block walk to the biggest, oldest one, Waqif Suq, and one of the main tour bus stops! So after a brief rest to post my Muscat blog entry, I walked over to buy a ticket for the bus for tomorrow. The girl at the booth said I Could start using it today since it was now about 3pm, and still use it all of tomorrow as well. So off I went.


I figured I'd ride one direction stopping for dinner somewhere and then ride it back after dark to get a night view of the downtown buildings. Not near as many as Dubai but some are quite pretty, I especially like the ones that combine traditional & modern features.


Katara Cultural Village is a large cluster of buildings that are part of and around a large 5000 seat amphitheatre that faces out over a huge plaza and the sea / gulf (I have heard it called both). They have cafes & fine dining, artisan studios, a theatre (live performances), a couple of mosques, anything to do with culture in anyway.


This is where I had supper: Turkish pizza at an Ottoman restaurant with uphostered armchairs at the tables. Yummm, it was so good that I came back for dinner (at lunchtime) the next day at the seafood restaurant. That was also amazing! As you walk in the restaurant there is a fresh fish & seafood market in front of you. Once seated, I was brought a basket with bread and a basket with raw veggies (carrot sticks, mini cucumbers, 2 green chilies, a tomato, etc.) and a small amount of 3 dips. I ordered an appy from the menu, then went up to the market to pick my proteins, method of cooking & side(s). I had a piece of local whitefish, hammour, steamed, and 3 jumbo prawns, grilled with seafood rice. That and the veggie basket were more than enough.


I finished the tour, taking in the sights and sounds. Then relaxed in the hotel lobby until time to go to the airport. my flight wasn't until 3am. Fortunately the flight was far from full SO most of as had 3 seats across and could lie down to rest/sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment