Monday 9 February 2015

Home Away From Home - Chennai (Madras)

Both times that I have been here, Samathy & Mukundan have made me feel welcome and part of the family. I have enjoyed some rest days where I was able to read, relax and write my blog, Some light activity days with shopping, the beach or some local sights, as well as our trip to the mountains.

Indian roads are crazy! Both city streets and highways are populated with busses (local and intercity), 4-wheelers (trucks and cars), 3-wheelers ("auto's" or auto-rikshaws, aka ''tuk-tuks" in other Asian countries or "pulmonias" in Mexico), 2-wheelers (motorbikes & scooters), bicycles and carts drawn by a bicycle, ox or horse! Grande Prairie traffic is calm in comparison.
Another big difference here is the lack of social infrastructure beyond the bare necessities. Roads are paved but do not have shoulders or sidewalks (there are some sidewalks in the center of the big cities), this means that the gap between the pavement and the private properties is a "no man's land" of dirt, a ditch, and / or stray garbage, as is any undeveloped land. The privately owned properties, however, although typically lacking aesthetics that do not also have function, are well tended with the basic necessities. There is a only basic social welfare for those without income and little infrastructure when it comes to public safety (no sidewalks or street lighting in most places), health or other fiscal support programs.

The people here (as elsewhere) are great! I'm getting used to being stared at, as a solo Caucasian in many areas and neighbourhoods that are not touristed by foreigners. When I say "hi" to the kids, they all ask where I'm from and practice a few English greetings. Even adults that I have talked to on our bus tours all want a picture taken with me. I've never been so popular (or more likely just odd!).

The beach at Chennai is fabulous! We went for a short period on two of our "around town" days, it is the 2nd largest beach in the world. It is very wide and 13 km long! We also visited the lighthouse and a couple of temples.

I do love Chennai, and Sumathy & Mukunden are becoming like brother & sister to me. I definitely do not want to wait another 7 years until my next visit, maybe only 2? I need to visit the west coast next, Mumbai & Goa, and I am hoping that they will join me.

1 comment:

  1. Even though traffic their is so crazy and unstructured, I bet they don't have the number of accidents as we do in Grande Prairie.

    ReplyDelete