Friday 20 February 2015

Two for the Price of One - Denmark & Sweden.

The hotel angels are watching out for me, another great location! I'm right in old Copenhagen, 1/2 block from the harbour, 3 blocks from a canal and a Hop On/Off bus stop, with numerous cafes & restaurants within a 5-10 min walk. The sightseeing bus here has limited routes and reduced hours during winter but it still gave a good overview. The afternoon I arrived I just settled in, walked around the area & had one of Denmark's famous open-face sandwiches. These are my kind of sandwich - lots of topping / filling with a small slice of a hearty (rye?) bread underneath.


The next day was my tour day, saw the mermaid statue (underwhelming), the old fort, Tivoli (said to be Walt Disney's inspiration for Disneyland) and many other sights. Love the old European architecture. Another smorrebrod (sandwich) for lunch and fabulous (but very expensive) sushi dinner at a restaurant right next door to my hotel.


The following day, I went to Sweden for lunch! Molmo is just a 1/2 hour train ride from Copenhagen. I wandered around the town centre, found a large park, a few canals and a few squares. Had a lovely lunch, wandered some more, bought a semla (puff pastry filled with whipped cream) to bring back to the hotel for later, and returned on an afternoon train. With another supper in the neighbourhood it makes for a lovely day.


As I got ready to head to the airport, I realized what had been lacking the last 2 days, I missed hearing the call to prayer from the mosques, I had used them to give me a sense of time during the day since I haven't worn a watch for a couple of years. Here in Copenhagen, I have had to pull out my phone to find out the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment